OpenCores
no use no use 1/2 Next Last
minsoc release 1.0 installation Problem
by ag09 on Jan 9, 2012
ag09
I have some trouble by running the installation script of the new release 1.0. I got the following error flow:

ar: creating libgdb.a
libtool: install: warning: relinking `libusbpp.la'
In file included from ftdi.hpp:35:0,
from ftdi.cpp:29:
../src/ftdi.h:20:17: fatal error: usb.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [ftdi.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
Error: Command: make Description: Compiling libftdi
============================================================================

I checked if both packages libftdi and libusb-0.1 are installed and it seems to be correct installed previously:

Package libftdi-0.18-5.fc15.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Package 1:libusb-0.1.3-9.fc15.x86_64 already installed and latest version

What should I consider to let the script "know" that both packages are installed? (if the problem depends on it at all).

The error file is attached too.

I appreciate any suggestion.
error.log (91 kb)
RE: minsoc release 1.0 installation Problem
by rfajardo on Jan 9, 2012
rfajardo
Minsoc installation script installs both libusb and libftdi for you, no matter if they are installed or not.

I didn't really understand what is going on. The progress.log could help me out. Anyways, I noticed that libftdi uses a program called libusb-config installed with libusb to configure the compilation pathes:
libftdi/configure.in:
11 AC_CHECK_TOOL(HAVELIBUSB, libusb-config)
13 if test ! -z "$HAVELIBUSB"; then
14 LIBUSB_CFLAGS=`$HAVELIBUSB --cflags`
15 LIBUSB_LIBS=`$HAVELIBUSB --libs`
17 CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $LIBUSB_CFLAGS"
18 LIBS="$LIBS $LIBUSB_LIBS"

[raul@mp-raul2 libftdi-0.19]$ libusb-config --cflags
-I/home/raul/projects/or1k/tools/include
[raul@mp-raul2 libftdi-0.19]$ libusb-config --libs
-L/home/raul/projects/or1k/tools/lib -lusb

usb.h can be found under the directory /home/raul/projects/or1k/tools/include in my case.

I have used the script successfuly under Fedora 15 and 16. You have to debug it somehow.

Go to dir_to_install/download/libftdi-0.19/ and type:
./configure --prefix=/dir_to_install/tools
then make
then make install

to see what is going on.

Raul
by ag09 on Jan 10, 2012
ag09
Minsoc installation script installs both libusb and libftdi for you, no matter if they are installed or not.

I didn't really understand what is going on. The progress.log could help me out. Anyways, I noticed that libftdi uses a program called libusb-config installed with libusb to configure the compilation pathes:
libftdi/configure.in:
11 AC_CHECK_TOOL(HAVELIBUSB, libusb-config)
13 if test ! -z "$HAVELIBUSB"; then
14 LIBUSB_CFLAGS=`$HAVELIBUSB --cflags`
15 LIBUSB_LIBS=`$HAVELIBUSB --libs`
17 CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $LIBUSB_CFLAGS"
18 LIBS="$LIBS $LIBUSB_LIBS"

[raul@mp-raul2 libftdi-0.19]$ libusb-config --cflags
-I/home/raul/projects/or1k/tools/include
[raul@mp-raul2 libftdi-0.19]$ libusb-config --libs
-L/home/raul/projects/or1k/tools/lib -lusb

usb.h can be found under the directory /home/raul/projects/or1k/tools/include in my case.

I have used the script successfuly under Fedora 15 and 16. You have to debug it somehow.

Go to dir_to_install/download/libftdi-0.19/ and type:
./configure --prefix=/dir_to_install/tools
then make
then make install

to see what is going on.

Raul

First Raul, thanks for your response.

I went to that directory dir_to_install/download/libftdi-0.19/ and run the command ./configure --prefix=/dir_to_install/tools. I got the following error, also again the same problem with libusb:

checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if g++ static flag -static works... no
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... (cached) GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking for libusb-config... no
configure: error: *** libusb-config not found. You need a working libusb installation.
====================================

What you mean with this directory /home/raul/projects/or1k/tools/include where you can find the usb.h. Precisely, with /tools/include. Because the install script asks only to set the path to the installation.

Did I miss something else to configure?

P.S.: I am working on Fedora 15 and the progress.log is attached.

progress.log (262 kb)
by rfajardo on Jan 10, 2012
rfajardo
On progress.log the script has found libusb-config.

Try to configure and compile libusb first in the same way you tried libftdi. Then try libftdi again.
by ag09 on Jan 10, 2012
ag09
Unfortunately, that did not help much. I still have the same error on Fedora 15 and I do not have any idea how to work around. Do you have?

I tried in addition to install minsoc on ubuntu 11 running on virtual machine, and I got the error message that libncurses is not installed. But there is no general package with exactly the same name but you find one for a specific OS version. In my case libncurses-gst. I got it installed and run the script again without success. Sure, the script asked the OS where is the bin of this package and does not find it.

Did you try to install minsoc on Fedora 15 or Ubuntu running on a VM? If you do that, you may face some problems that not occurring in suitable machine where most of the packages can be previously installed.

by rfajardo on Jan 10, 2012
rfajardo
I didn't have enough input to narrow down your problem.

I strongly think, that the problem is related to the libusb-0.1 installation. That's why I asked you to try to install libusb first. After that, you can see what is the output of libusb-config to see if it matches and if usb.h is where it should be.

I did install on a fresh VM with latest Ubuntu. It worked perfectly. Of course, you have to install some packages. Instead of failing during the process, the script checks if all required items are installed before. On Debian like distributions, you can use "apt-file search" to find out the name of the packages by giving the name of the missing library or binary.

I understand your frustration. But I didn't suggest you should try to install it on Ubuntu. I asked you to try to install libusb as I previously said to you to try libftdi. The idea is to find out what is going wrong.

I would be really thankful for more feedback about the script, especially if someone has experienced the same problem.

Raul
by ag09 on Jan 11, 2012
ag09

I understand your frustration. But I didn't suggest you should try to install it on Ubuntu. I asked you to try to install libusb as I previously said to you to try libftdi. The idea is to find out what is going wrong.

Raul

I successfully installed libusb as you said and after that I tried to install libftdi but it failed with the same error attached in the previous emails. That is all talking about installing minsoc on Fedora 15.

What I can not understand why the installation of libftdi fails when asking about usb.h, and the usblib is correctly installed in the tools/include?

Now, talking about Ubuntu running on VM. The script checks as I described in previous email where is libncurses installed and asked me to install it if it did not find it. I run apt-file search libncurses and got a lot of paths where different bins of packages derived form libncurses, such as libncurses5-dev, libncurses-ruppy1.9.1, libncurses5, but not find the desired package name. I changed the package name of libncurses to e.g libncurses5-dev and run the installation script again without success.

Do you have any Idea. How did you install this library on ubuntu since you should faced the same problem? libncurses alone is not enough to get it installed from apt-get install.
by rfajardo on Jan 12, 2012
rfajardo
About Fedora 15. I expected that libftdi would not compile after libusb was successfuly installed. Did you run make install on libusb? You posted two logs. Progress.log says that libusb-config was found:
checking how to hardcode library paths into prprojectsms... immediate
checking for libusb-config... libusb-config
checking if libusb version is >= 0.1.7... yes
checking for boostlib >= 1.33... yes

While what you input in the thread text does not.
configure: error: *** libusb-config not found. You need a working libusb installation.

I assumed that for some reason the tools directory was gone along with libusb/usb.h and libusb-config. That's why I asked you to recompile.

If the error is on configuration, check if libusb-config exists (under path_to_install/tools/bin).

If the error is on compilation (by the end, during linkage) check following outputs of libusb-config for me please:
libusb-config --cflags
libusb-config --libs

Note: even if you have libusb and libftdi packages installed, this is not what adv_jtag_bridge needs. You would need libusb-devel and libftdi-devel. The scripts installs them on its own to work with the simplest system possible.

Ubuntu talk:
You have to install following packages on a fresh Ubuntu-11.10:
subversion
patch
texinfo
libncurses-dev
flex
bison
zlib1g-dev

The script used to find the programs. But libz has been moved to /lib/i386-linux-gnu and the script fails now. Therefore, you have to comment out line 67:
67 #testtool libz

After that, it should install.

Final question:
Do you run Windows as main system or Fedora? If Windows, why not to install minsoc on Cygwin?

I am asking because for fairly long people required Cygwin installations. MinSoC should install without a problem on Cygwin. But I never read a single line about someone installing it on Cygwin or related problems here.

I hope you find some more patience to give Fedora and the install script another chance. About Ubuntu, the installation script and libz, I will have to think what to do.

Best regards,
Raul
by ag09 on Jan 12, 2012
ag09
About Fedora 15. I expected that libftdi would not compile after libusb was successfuly installed. Did you run make install on libusb? You posted two logs. Progress.log says that libusb-config was found:
checking how to hardcode library paths into prprojectsms... immediate
checking for libusb-config... libusb-config
checking if libusb version is >= 0.1.7... yes
checking for boostlib >= 1.33... yes

While what you input in the thread text does not.

I assumed that for some reason the tools directory was gone along with libusb/usb.h and libusb-config. That's why I asked you to recompile.

If the error is on configuration, check if libusb-config exists (under path_to_install/tools/bin).

If the error is on compilation (by the end, during linkage) check following outputs of libusb-config for me please:
libusb-config --cflags
libusb-config --libs

Note: even if you have libusb and libftdi packages installed, this is not what adv_jtag_bridge needs. You would need libusb-devel and libftdi-devel. The scripts installs them on its own to work with the simplest system possible.

Ubuntu talk:
You have to install following packages on a fresh Ubuntu-11.10:
subversion
patch
texinfo
libncurses-dev
flex
bison
zlib1g-dev

The script used to find the programs. But libz has been moved to /lib/i386-linux-gnu and the script fails now. Therefore, you have to comment out line 67:
67 #testtool libz

After that, it should install.

Final question:
Do you run Windows as main system or Fedora? If Windows, why not to install minsoc on Cygwin?

I am asking because for fairly long people required Cygwin installations. MinSoC should install without a problem on Cygwin. But I never read a single line about someone installing it on Cygwin or related problems here.

I hope you find some more patience to give Fedora and the install script another chance. About Ubuntu, the installation script and libz, I will have to think what to do.

Best regards,
Raul

Sure, I recompiled and installed the libusb and could find the usb.h and usbpp.h in /tools/include. In /tools/bin I find the following bins libusb-config, or32-elf-gdb, or32-elf-gdbtui.

By checking the following bin files I got
libusb-config --cflags
-I/local/home/projects/opencores/minsoc/tools/include

libusb-config --libs
-L/local/home/projects/opencores/minsoc/tools/lib -lusb

As said, the compilation and installation of usb is done well, but by compiling of libftdi failed and threw the attached error log. The progress is the same as previous attached.

I simply did not get it!!. (Fedora is running directly on machine.)

About Ubuntu running on VM:
I am running Ubuntu 10.4. this should actually be no problem to get the libraries installed. However, I was specifically asking about the libncurses-dev. I think you mean libncurses5-dev. Installed it using apt-get and changed the name of the library in script to libncurses5-dev. Even so, the checking of this package failed. I entered whereis -b libncurses5-dev and it did not give me the path but only the following:
libncurses5-dev:

However, for the same command whereis -b patch I got the path where the bin is installed, also: /usr/bin/patch.

I do not know how to check the binaries of libncurses5-dev if whereis -b did not deliver any path.

Thanks for your effort and let me please know if you have idea how to fix it. Even me I will try but not sure to fix it..

error.log (91 kb)
rfajardo
After having successfuly installed libusb, could you try to compile ftdi without the script with:
./configure --prefix=dir
make

and paste the output?
rfajardo
On Ubuntu-10.04, using the list of packages posted before and substituting:
libncurses-dev for libncurses5-dev
The script started here.
by ag09 on Jan 13, 2012
ag09
After having successfuly installed libusb, could you try to compile ftdi without the script with:
./configure --prefix=dir
make

and paste the output?

I got the following output by running the configuration script. The libusb-config file will not found despite it is installed in /tools/bin.

Can you please check the configuration script of ftdi again to turn out how the path to libusb-config is assigned.
============================
./configure --prefix=/local/home/projects/opencores/minsoc/download/libftdi-0.19/test-comile-lib
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
checking whether the shell understands "+="... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ar... ar
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if g++ static flag -static works... no
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... (cached) GNU/Linux ld.so

==================
by ag09 on Jan 13, 2012
ag09
On Ubuntu-10.04, using the list of packages posted before and substituting:
libncurses-dev for libncurses5-dev
The script started here.

Can you please read my previous email about this issue again. I did the same what you said and faced the problem that the checking failed because it could not find the path to binaries of the lib substituting. When I enter whereis -b libncurses5-dev I don not get the path to the binderies as mentioned before, despite the package was successfully installed using apt-get.
by aikijw on Jan 13, 2012
aikijw
Can you please read my previous email about this issue again. I did the same what you said and faced the problem that the checking failed because it could not find the path to binaries of the lib substituting. When I enter whereis -b libncurses5-dev I don not get the path to the binderies as mentioned before, despite the package was successfully installed using apt-get.

I think there is some confusion/misconception here...

Are you using Fedora 15 or Ubuntu 10.04?

In either case... The whereis command can't be used to determine installation status of distribution packages... Whereis searches for *commands* (well... executables...) in a search space defined solely by your path... I also note that you've been referring to a "/tools" directory... If you've created a "/tools" directory (e.g. a directory named "tools" hanging directly off of the root filesystem), then I suspect you've probably done other non-standard things to your OS, and I also suspect that it's going to be very difficult to assist you with this problem... Is it possible for you to start with a clean installation? I was (yesterday) able to install the entire environment successfully under Ubuntu 11.04 with only a few VERY minor hiccups... The install took me significantly less than 60 minutes... (I ran out for coffee at least once... ;-)) The install script is also fairly well documented...

BTW... Whoever is responsible for the install script... Thumbs up... I installed on Ubuntu 11.04 with few issues... Testing now... Thanks for your hard work!

Regards,

/jw

by ag09 on Jan 13, 2012
ag09
I should mention that the minsoc is installed successfully on ubuntu 11.04 running on VM. By new start and trying again I did not face the problem I mentioned before.

However, I till face the same problem by installing minsoc on Fedora 15.

Thanks for all responses. If I could fix it I will post here. If you have any idea then please let me know.
no use no use 1/2 Next Last
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.