Zet - The x86 (IA-32) open implementation :: Overview
Other project properties
The Zet SoC PC platform and processor is an open implementation of the so widely used x86 architecture. This project is being developed using four different FPGA boards: Xilinx ML-403, Altera DE0, Altera DE1 and Altera DE2-115 boards. Currently it's in a very early stage of development and only the 16 bit part is supported. The official website for the project is: zet.aluzina.org. Some features of the Zet SoC PC system include:
- 16 bit Zet processor equivalent to an Intel 80186, running at 25 Mhz (Wishbone compatible)
- Wishbone ZBT SRAM memory controller addressing 1 Mb of low memory
- Wishbone flash memory controller for BIOS storage (ROM BIOS and VIDEO BIOS)
- Video Graphics Adapter in text mode and 640x480,640x350,320x200 16 colors and 320x200 256 colors in chain 4 representation
- 8253 simple timer, sending interrupts each 18.2 Hz via IRQ 0
- 8042 keyboard controller sending PC/XT scancodes via IRQ 1
- UART support as COM1, using IRQ 4
- Very simple interrupt controller.
- Flash memory controller for floppy disk storage
- Compact Flash card controller for hard disk emulation with full read/write support
- SD card controller for hard disk emulation with full read/write support
- GPL implementation of a PC BIOS with several services implemented: interrupts 8h, 9h, 10h, 11h, 12h, 13h, 16h, 18h, 19h, 1Ah, 1Ch
- Main project page
- Some pictures of the system
- Discussion forums
- Installation guides for the Xilinx ML403 and Altera DE1
- Source code of the Zet system v1.2.0 (in tar.bz2 format)
- Source code of the Zet system v1.2.0 (in zip format)
- GIT development tree: git://github.com/marmolejo/zet.git
- 10-Nov-2010. Version 1.2.0 released!! A lot of new changes added. Two new FPGA boards now supported: Altera DE0 and Altera DE2-115. PS2 mouse support, new optimized BIOS with shadow RAM, new Zet opcodes added, system timer and speaker, new UART core and a lot of bug fixes!!
1-Feb-2010. It's time to play games like Dune 2, Gods or Lemmings!! Three VGA graphical modes have been added: 640x350, 320x200 with 16 colors and 320x200 with 256 colors in chained four representation. Some other major improvements have been added: increased x8 SD card access speed, high performance memory controller, wishbone switch and asynchronous bridges added.
- 15-Sep-2009. Microsoft Windows 3.0 in graphics mode is running on Zet!! Also, preliminary support for SoundBlaster 16 (in direct mode) has been added. As a result, we are proud to announce major version 1.0.