OpenCores
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
OpenMSP430
by gshravya on Jun 28, 2015
gshravya
Hi, I am new to opencores and would really appreciate some guidance on the following:

I want to simulate OpenMSP430 and run my code on it to make performance measurements. I have been through the forum but I still could not figure out how to do this. From what I understand, I have to write the verilog code in the core/sim/rtl_sim/src directory and modify the run script to run my code.

Am I on the right path here? Could anyone please provide me with pointers/steps on how to achieve this?

Thank you for your time and patience.
RE: OpenMSP430
by dgisselq on Jun 30, 2015
dgisselq
Do you have OpeMSP430 running in the simulator at all? Or, if not, do you have it running in hardware at all? Is your issue just the difficulty of making the performance measurements, or getting OpenMSP430 up in the first place?

Thanks,

Dan
by gshravya on Jul 22, 2015
gshravya
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply.

I do not have access to the MSP430 hardware. So I am trying to simulate openMSP430 using ModelSim. My objective is to run my code(written in C) on the simulated processor.

I am unable to understand how to simulate the core in ModelSim and also how to run my code on the simulated processor. I am finding it difficult to set up openmsp430 for my project.

Could you kindly provide any pointers on how to achieve this?

Regards,
Shravya
by richard_vlamynck on Jul 23, 2015
richard_vlamynck
Hi,

If you don't have it already, download the openMSP430 design tree.

Setup your MODELSIM environment variables in bash shell.

In a command shell, cd to the design tree .../openMSP430/core/sim/rtl_sim/run
Using a text editor, edit the run_all script, OMSP_SIMULATOR=vsim, further note how it invokes the various pieces of the testbench.
Then, invoke the run_all script, and carefully note how it all fits together in MODELSIM.

If you don't have it already, download and build msp430-gcc and the binutils for it.
In the design tree, cd to .../openMSP430/core/sim/rtl_sim/src-c/sandbox
Make clean and rebuild the software.
Using what you learned running Modelsim above, add the sandbox software to the Modelsim test run.

I hope that helps,
Good Luck
Richard.
by muhammadirfan766 on Feb 21, 2016
muhammadirfan766
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply.

I do not have access to the MSP430 hardware. So I am trying to simulate openMSP430 using ModelSim. My objective is to run my code(written in C) on the simulated processor.

I am unable to understand how to simulate the core in ModelSim and also how to run my code on the simulated processor. I am finding it difficult to set up openmsp430 for my project.

Could you kindly provide any pointers on how to achieve this?

Regards,
Shravya

I also need some more information about this problem...
by Parker001 on Nov 6, 2020
Parker001
Hi Dan,

I have similar questions of the simulation of the openMSP430. Before I change anything, I'd like to repeat your simulation process. I am using the windows version of modelsim.

DO I need create a project in modelsim including all the verilog files in the core folder and bench folder of openMSP430? If so, after that step, how can I run the simulation by calling the run or run_all in the rtl_sim folder?

Thank you and looking forward to your reply!

Parker
by olivier.girard on Nov 9, 2020
olivier.girard
If you are running your simulation from Windows, you probably need to install Cygwin first as all the simulation scripts under the openMSP430/core/sim/rtl_sim are shell based.

If you do it from Linux or MacOS, following the instructions from Richard should work from a any terminal.

Oliv’
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.