OpenCores
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
Verilog Compiler
by chinthakaak on Oct 3, 2009
chinthakaak
Hi,

I am new to OpenCores.

Could anyone please let me know whether is there specific opensource Verilog compiler we have to use in OpenCores projects?

Regards,
Chinthaka
RE: Verilog Compiler
by moogyd on Oct 8, 2009
moogyd
Hi,

Any verilog simulator should work with OpenCores IP's.

Icarus Verilog is open source, and seems to work OK

http://www.icarus.com/eda/verilog/

Steven
by jeremybennett on Oct 9, 2009
jeremybennett

I am new to OpenCores.

Could anyone please let me know whether is there specific opensource Verilog compiler we have to use in OpenCores projects?

Hi Chinthaka

Since it is open source you can use whatever you wish. OpenRISC is verified with scripts written to use Icarus Verilog (free and open source) or Verilator (also free and open source). However in the past that project has used Cadence NC (proprietary), and I've seen it run with ARC VTOC (also proprietary).

Other projects will have their own arrangements, but you can choose to verify or compile as suits your needs.

Steven has given you a link to Icarus Verilog. For VHDL projects there is GHDL (ghdl.free.fr). Verilator (www.veripool.org/wiki/verilator is an open source synthesizable Verilog to C++/SystemC compiler, which delivers performance similar to commercial simulators.

Embecosm has an application note explaining how to use Icarus Verilog and Verilator with OpenRISC, which you may find useful: High Performance SoC Modeling with Verilator.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy

--
Tel: +44 (1590) 610184
Cell: +44 (7970) 676050
SkypeID: jeremybennett
Email: jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com
Web: www.embecosm.com

by chinthakaak on Oct 9, 2009
chinthakaak
Hi Steven, Jeremy,

Thanks a lot for the responses.

Regards,
Chinthaka
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.