OpenCores
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
SVN structure
by overclocked on Oct 8, 2009
overclocked
Here's a question about a good general structure for RTL-projects with multiple target boards and maybe even support for multiple vendors. Are there any good examples in opencores.org today?

I'm looking into building up a file structure for the new scratch ddr-controller which permits separating and sharing files between several synthesis projects. For now everything is working fine, I can build both the 500E and 1600E projects from the same physical disk files by using relative paths in the ISE 11.2 XISE-files. Having this structure will probably demand text-editing the XISE-file (XML-file = simple) each time someone add files but I think it's worth it.

For now it looks like this locally:
-[trunk]
scratch.vhd
... and all other files as before...
-[boards]
-[Microblaze1600E]
Microblaze1600E.xise
Microblaze1600E.ucf
-[StarterKit500E]
StarterKit500E.xise
StarterKit500E.ucf

Is there a OpenCores-standard for laying out the directory structure? Then this should probably be followed instead.

By looking at for example MilkyMist at:
http://github.com/lekernel/milkymist

they use a deeper structure with all reusable cores under /cores/.../ and under their respective names. They also use a /boards/.../ directory in where they also separate synthesis files and board-specific rtl. One step further would be to support several versions of the environments (10.1, 11.x) and of course also have support of several vendors (/xilinx/ /altera/ /lattice/ ) but I think this will have to wait until/if other people joins.

I kind of like the shallow one I describe above to start with! It can be reworked later if there are more interested parties.
RE: SVN structure
by chinthakaak on Oct 8, 2009
chinthakaak
Hi

OpenCores has announced some coding guidelines in the last news letter.

Hope this might be helpful to you.

http://www.opencores.org/newsletter,2009,09,#n1

Regards,
Chinthaka
RE: SVN structure
by overclocked on Oct 8, 2009
overclocked
Sorry for not seeing this info before! But thank you for pointing it out! This will be the structure of anything I commit to OpenCores.

Best Regards
Magnus
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.