OpenCores
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
How can i know the pci slot are running at 33 or 66 ?
by Unknown on Jan 2, 2004
Not available!
Hi,

I have heard that on some PCI slot on some motherboard, there isn't
#GNT and #REG connected , that mean the slot don't support master
PCI on it , is this true?
And how can i know which slot on the motherboard are 33MHZ slot and
which are 66 MHZ slot ? after i have plugged my PCI card and start the
machine, how can i know which frequency it is running at ?

Regards,
TOM

How can i know the pci slot are running at 33 or 66 ?
by Unknown on Jan 8, 2004
Not available!
Hi Tom, it's correct, some older boards do have some PCI slots which are not busmaster capable. It's because older chipsets do not provide enough #REQ/#GNT pairs for all slots. As far as i know, this problem occours only on boards from the beginning of PCI (about 1995). Newer chipsets should have all slots busmaster capable. To check this, you can for example take a look into the chipset specification or ask your vendor. A 66 MHz slot can't be detected only by watching. To be sure it's better to take a look into your manual. An circumstantial evidence is the voltage of the slot. 66MHz slots only run on 3.3V, not on 5V. A 3.3V slot differs from a 5V slot in the direction of the slot itself. It is turned by 180 degrees. front __________________________________________ | | | 5V slot -------------------------------------------------------- __________________________________________ | | | 3.3V slot -------------------------------------------------------- Take a look at http://hsi.web.cern.ch/HSI/s-link/devices/s32pci64/slottypes.html You can detect it by one signal (name: 66enable or something like this) which was redefined from ground (on 33MHz platforms) to pulled up (on 66MHz platforms). If a 33 MHz card is plugged into a 66MHz segment, this card pulls this line to ground, the bridge detects a 33MHz device and switches the whole bussegment to 33 MHz. A 66 MHz card leaves this signal floating. If you want to know if your bussegment is running on 66MHz, find out if your bridge supports this, find the signal and take a measurement. If the level is high when the cards are inserted, the segment is running on 66MHz, if it is low, it's not. But keep in mind: This signal is bussed, this means one 33 MHz device plugged in will slow down the whole bussegment. I don't know if there is a softwaresolution to get this information. Maybe there is something in the datasheet of your bridge. Bye, Adalbert tomko81@hotmail.com wrote:
Hi, I have heard that on some PCI slot on some motherboard, there isn't #GNT and #REG connected , that mean the slot don't support master PCI on it , is this true? And how can i know which slot on the motherboard are 33MHZ slot and which are 66 MHZ slot ? after i have plugged my PCI card and start the machine, how can i know which frequency it is running at ? Regards, TOM _______________________________________________ http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/pci

no use no use 1/1 no use no use
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.