OpenCores
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
MP3 in uP and maybe not FPGA directly
by Unknown on Feb 9, 2004
Not available!
I guess also the way to get MP3 out of a FPGA would be to implement a uP in the part and write decode software for the uP... anyone seen this done, neat idea.... Richard. _________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963
MP3 in uP and maybe not FPGA directly
by Unknown on Feb 9, 2004
Not available!
Aloha! Quoting Richard Sloan rsloan2003 at hotmail.com>:
I guess also the way to get MP3 out of a FPGA would be to implement a uP in
the part and write decode software for the uP... anyone seen this done, neat
idea....
Yes, several times. Altera used to demo this setup on their Nios-boards. The Nios CPU handles the deframing and the LCD-display and control. Added to the system is the needed iDCT-coprocessor that does the DSP-processing. It's actually a good example of HW/SW-partitioning. Several solutions exists and there is not one single solution that is best. You can do lots of area, power, cost, flexibility trade-offs. A counter solution for example is the dual StrongARM-solution (i.e. two MCUs that together process the MP3 data and runs the GUI) that used to be found in the iPod. Dunno if they have changed that in later iPods. To me that sounds like an expensive and above all too power consuming solution. (Yes, I know StrongARM have great MIPS/W-ratio, but using one too many of them would still result in too much power). -- Med vänlig hälsning, Yours Joachim Strömbergson - Alltid i harmonisk svängning. VP, Research & Development ---------------------------------------------------------------------- InformAsic AB / Hugo Grauers gata 5B / SE-411 33 GÖTEBORG / Sweden Tel: +46 31 68 54 90 Fax: +46 31 68 54 91 Mobile: +46 733 75 97 02 E-mail: joachim.strombergson at informasic.com Home: www.informasic.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.