OpenCores
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
Floating point, exponent unit VERILOG
by sabinalupu on Apr 21, 2018
sabinalupu
Hi! I need to implement an exponent unit for floating point algorithm in verilog. She has 2 inputs, one for the sign (1b) and one for the exponent(8b). I have two operands, left_operand and right_operand and in this unit exponent I need to keep their sign and exponent. How can I do this in verilog?
Thank you
RE: Floating point, exponent unit VERILOG
by hellwig on Apr 22, 2018
hellwig
The question is not "How can I do this in Verilog?" but rather
"What is the circuit supposed to do?".

1. "floating point algorithm" - what algorithm?
Addition/subtraction is different from multiplication or division.

2. "sign and exponent" - is that the sign of the exponent or the sign of the mantissa?
What is the format of your floating-point numbers? 32-bit IEEE-754?

3. "keep their signs and exponents" - I bet you won't! Possibly you want to compute the sign and
the exponent of the result? This suggests that the "algorithm" is multiplication or division.

4. This seems to be once again a homework assignment. Go ask your professor!

Hellwig
RE: Floating point, exponent unit VERILOG
by rromano010 on Apr 25, 2018
rromano010

4. This seems to be once again a homework assignment. Go ask your professor!

Hellwig

I guess this is the only right answer, wording too is far from the understanding how Floating point work.
Sign and exponent can be managed but again, as you stated to, what arithmetic operation is this applied?
1 bit sign and 8 bit exponent resemble single precision FP, an exercise when we learn about FP, when/if normalization apply is no more possible to compute nothing without mantissa that carry information about number too. Exponent, if normalized also Carry positive and negative NAN infinite and Zero singularity.
About last sentence, I fear is better ask person to learn in deep than try elude. Is correct to ask again professor but is also necessary TO DO HOMEWORK.
Best regards
Roberto
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.