OpenCores
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
Beginner
by Atria on Aug 10, 2013
Atria
Sir,I am a beginner in the fpga design field and wish to take up a project on Xilinx Spartan 3e fpga as my degree (graduation) level engineering project with an intention to learn fpga design. I have worked on a xilinx cpld before on some elementary projects, and have a brief idea about xilinx ide.

I was looking up the projects in the OpenCore certified category. But am confused regarding which would be the best one as my project considering that i am a novice. I am currently in my final year of Electronics engineering course.

Please guide regarding same
Thanking you in anticipation
RE: Beginner
by badmanjoe on Aug 11, 2013
badmanjoe
Hello beginner,

In my opinion there are few things you can start with. I would suggest to pick a MIPS processor, or any other small CPU and with good description and simply go over the design and re-implement it or advance it, or simulate it, or add another units to it.
The reason i suggest MIPS is that the architecture is similar to several courses taught in universities, so its a good starting point.

Once you got the processor running, you can add new cores to it such as branch prediction unit, out-of-order unit and so on.

Good luck
by jerryo on Aug 11, 2013
jerryo
Hi Beginner,

An approach that can maintain tremendous fun and motivation is to ask yourself what you want to invent? With concepts in mind, think about what cores (from OpenCores, Xilinx or others) you might integrate / modify / enhance (as the other poster mentions) to achieve your vision.

Creativity is always premium.
-Jerry
by Atria on Aug 12, 2013
Atria
Hello beginner,

In my opinion there are few things you can start with. I would suggest to pick a MIPS processor, or any other small CPU and with good description and simply go over the design and re-implement it or advance it, or simulate it, or add another units to it.
The reason i suggest MIPS is that the architecture is similar to several courses taught in universities, so its a good starting point.

Once you got the processor running, you can add new cores to it such as branch prediction unit, out-of-order unit and so on.

Good luck

Thanks a lot Sir, atleast now I know where to start. Sir, will it be a good idea to implement ARM core as our project rather considering the current trends? Or is the MIPS drill necessary? I am working on this project with my 3 colleagues and ours is a longterm project spanning 6-7 months (we have to balance it with our academic coursework though)
by Atria on Aug 12, 2013
Atria
Hi Beginner,

An approach that can maintain tremendous fun and motivation is to ask yourself what you want to invent? With concepts in mind, think about what cores (from OpenCores, Xilinx or others) you might integrate / modify / enhance (as the other poster mentions) to achieve your vision.

Creativity is always premium.
-Jerry

"Creativity is always premium"..totally agree..thankyou Sir
by badmanjoe on Aug 15, 2013
badmanjoe
ARM is a complex design, but can be very fun and alot to learn too.
If you are confident with your verilog, and verification skills then hell yes go ahead! 6-7 monthes is a good time too, but it depends on how much time you can actually spend on this. ARM and mips are totally different though, ARM will require much more work!

I suggest you start with something small, and advance it.
by jeremybennett on Aug 16, 2013
jeremybennett

...In my opinion there are few things you can start with. I would suggest to pick a MIPS processor, or any other small CPU and with good description and simply go over the design and re-implement it or advance it, or simulate it, or add another units to it...

Hi beginner,

Given you are asking on OpenCores, the obvious processor to choose is OpenRISC. The design is inspired by MIPS (or more strictly DLX, which makes it even better for learning). It has its own forum and mailing lists, where you can discuss and get help. See http://opencores.org/or1k/OR1K:Community_Portal for more details.

Enjoy yourself.

Jeremy

--
Tel: +44 (1590) 610184
Cell: +44 (7970) 676050
SkypeID: jeremybennett
Email: jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com
Web: www.embecosm.com

by loi09dt1 on Sep 2, 2017
loi09dt1
Sir,I am a beginner in the fpga design field and wish to take up a project on Xilinx Spartan 3e fpga as my degree (graduation) level engineering project with an intention to learn fpga design. I have worked on a xilinx cpld before on some elementary projects, and have a brief idea about xilinx ide.

I was looking up the projects in the OpenCore certified category. But am confused regarding which would be the best one as my project considering that i am a novice. I am currently in my final year of Electronics engineering course.

Please guide regarding same
Thanking you in anticipation

Hi,
you can can find a lot of FPGA projects here.
If you want to look for some simple FPGA projects for students. You can visit fpga4student.com where provides many FPGA/Verilog/VHDL simple projects for students.
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.