Not available!
Hi everyone,

I am using driverstudio to write a device driver for my PCI card, but
i don't know how to call up burst mode Read on my PCI card, i try to use
one of this method

VOID ind(ULONG Offset, PULONG buf, ULONG count);

in the declaration of KMemoryRange supplied by driverstudio. It can read
in a string of DWORD (32 bits) data but it is not performing burst mode
read on the hardware . It is just read in data one by one.

My question is :

1. How can i call up burst mode Read in my device driver? Is there any
command or method can use , or i need to handle the IRP by my own?

2. By theory , where the data from the PCI board store before reaching
my Win32 user program ? Do they store in the RAM before getting by
the device driver ?

Please give some sample code if it is possible.

Thank you very much for you all.
how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver
by Unknown on Dec 6, 2003
Not available!
To use burst transfers on PCI the PCI card has to be the master, you need to add DMA to your card. I think opencores has a wishbone DMA controller you can use. All the high speed PCI devices have DMA, look at specs for SCSI controllers ect. Anything you code in the device driver will be brocken down to individual reads or writes, because of latency in the system the transfer rate will be slow. good luck ----- Original Message ----- From: tomko81@hotmail.com> To: pci@opencores.org> Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 6:10 AM Subject: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver
Hi everyone,

I am using driverstudio to write a device driver for my PCI card,

but
i don't know how to call up burst mode Read on my PCI card, i try to use one of this method VOID ind(ULONG Offset, PULONG buf, ULONG count); in the declaration of KMemoryRange supplied by driverstudio. It can read in a string of DWORD (32 bits) data but it is not performing burst mode read on the hardware . It is just read in data one by one. My question is : 1. How can i call up burst mode Read in my device driver? Is there any command or method can use , or i need to handle the IRP by my own? 2. By theory , where the data from the PCI board store before reaching my Win32 user program ? Do they store in the RAM before getting by the device driver ? Please give some sample code if it is possible. Thank you very much for you all. _______________________________________________ http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/pci

by Unknown on Dec 9, 2003
Not available!
Thank you very much for your reply. But can you tell me more how to "add" DMA on my PCI core? As for the pci card, how it can communicate with the PC can only through those PCI signal bus. What i don't understand is on the side of motherboard , which type of command and signals need to given by the master PCI so as to know it want to directly write data to memory without involve of CPU? ( i don't mean i don't know the control of those signal like FRAME,IRDY..etc as i have read the spec of PCI). what i guess is the master PCI do normal memory write operation with burst mode and give the address of physical memory on the PC at the address period. This is just my guess and please tell me am i right or not. Regards, TOM ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Warren" dave@l... > To: "Discussion list about free,open source PCI IP core" pci@o... > Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:47:57 -0000 Subject: Re: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver
To use burst transfers on PCI the PCI card has to be the master, you need to add DMA to your card. I think opencores has a wishbone DMA controller you can use. All the high speed PCI devices have DMA, look at specs for SCSI controllers ect. Anything you code in the device driver will be brocken down to individual reads or writes, because of latency in the system the transfer rate will be slow. good luck ----- Original Message ----- From: tomko81@h... > To: pci@o... > Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 6:10 AM Subject: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using driverstudio to write a device driver for my

PCI card,
but
> i don't know how to call up burst mode Read on my PCI card, i

try to use
> one of this method
>
> VOID ind(ULONG Offset, PULONG buf, ULONG count);
>
> in the declaration of KMemoryRange supplied by driverstudio.

It can read
> in a string of DWORD (32 bits) data but it is not performing

burst mode
> read on the hardware . It is just read in data one by one.
>
> My question is :
>
> 1. How can i call up burst mode Read in my device driver? Is

there any
> command or method can use , or i need to handle the IRP by my

own?
>
> 2. By theory , where the data from the PCI board store before

reaching
> my Win32 user program ? Do they store in the RAM before

getting by
> the device driver ?
>
> Please give some sample code if it is possible.
>
> Thank you very much for you all.
>
>

by Unknown on Dec 9, 2003
Not available!
The board I have made does not use DMA but it can still have a reasonably fast writes to the board. With a normal PC at 2.4GHz it will have write of about 75MB/s. The burst works quite well. The limitations of transfer speed are in the windows driver and/or in RAM bandwidth. I do not know about read speed because the card hardly uses any. I am using Altera PCI Slave core and a custom made windows driver. Since all modern PC motherboards got DMA circuits that can be programmed to do transfers without CPU, we got plans to rewrite the windows driver and maybe get higher transfer rates. Information about DMA circuits could probably be found in hardware related PC books. The original DMA chip was called 8237A but it is integrated in the chipsets today. A PCI master is a card that can initiate writes and reads by itself without help from CPU or windows software. It is not related to DMA via the 8237A. Regards STB -----Ursprungligt meddelande----- Från: pci-bounces@opencores.org [mailto:pci-bounces@opencores.org] För tomko81@hotmail.com Skickat: den 9 december 2003 12:08 Till: dave@luscher.co.uk; pci@opencores.org Ämne: Re: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver Thank you very much for your reply. But can you tell me more how to "add" DMA on my PCI core? As for the pci card, how it can communicate with the PC can only through those PCI signal bus. What i don't understand is on the side of motherboard , which type of command and signals need to given by the master PCI so as to know it want to directly write data to memory without involve of CPU? ( i don't mean i don't know the control of those signal like FRAME,IRDY..etc as i have read the spec of PCI). what i guess is the master PCI do normal memory write operation with burst mode and give the address of physical memory on the PC at the address period. This is just my guess and please tell me am i right or not. Regards, TOM ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Warren" dave@l... > To: "Discussion list about free,open source PCI IP core" pci@o... > Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:47:57 -0000 Subject: Re: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver
To use burst transfers on PCI the PCI card has to be the master, you need to add DMA to your card. I think opencores has a wishbone DMA controller you can use. All the high speed PCI devices have DMA, look at specs for SCSI controllers ect. Anything you code in the device driver will be brocken down to individual reads or writes, because of latency in the system the transfer rate will be slow. good luck ----- Original Message ----- From: tomko81@h... > To: pci@o... > Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 6:10 AM Subject: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using driverstudio to write a device driver for my

PCI card,
but
> i don't know how to call up burst mode Read on my PCI card, i

try to use
> one of this method
>
>
> in the declaration of KMemoryRange supplied by driverstudio.

It can read
> in a string of DWORD (32 bits) data but it is not performing

burst mode
> read on the hardware . It is just read in data one by one.
>
> My question is :
>
> 1. How can i call up burst mode Read in my device driver? Is

there any
> command or method can use , or i need to handle the IRP by my

own?
>
> 2. By theory , where the data from the PCI board store before

reaching

getting by
> the device driver ?
>
>
>
>

_______________________________________________ http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/pci
by Unknown on Dec 10, 2003
Not available!
Thank you for your reply. But my point is that in slave PCI, the write/read process is initiated by others like CPU, i try to read in a string of DWORD in the PCI device driver but it just read in the data one by one and so the speed is slow. I would like to know is there any solution can call out the burst read/write in slave PCI? You say you are using slave PCI but can still perform burst read, how can you do that ? Regards, TOM ----- Original Message ----- From: Stefan Bergström stb@v... > To: "'Discussion list about free, open source PCI IP core'" pci@o... > Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:28:04 +0100 Subject: Re: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver
The board I have made does not use DMA but it can still have a reasonably fast writes to the board. With a normal PC at 2.4GHz it will have write of about 75MB/s. The burst works quite well. The limitations of transfer speed are in the windows driver and/or in RAM bandwidth. I do not know about read speed because the card hardly uses any. I am using Altera PCI Slave core and a custom made windows driver. Since all modern PC motherboards got DMA circuits that can be programmed to do transfers without CPU, we got plans to rewrite the windows driver and maybe get higher transfer rates. Information about DMA circuits could probably be found in hardware related PC books. The original DMA chip was called 8237A but it is integrated in the chipsets today. A PCI master is a card that can initiate writes and reads by itself without help from CPU or windows software. It is not related to DMA via the 8237A. Regards STB -----Ursprungligt meddelande----- Från: pci-bounces@o... [mailto:pci-bounces@o... ] För tomko81@h... Skickat: den 9 december 2003 12:08 Till: dave@l... ; pci@o... Ämne: Re: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver Thank you very much for your reply. But can you tell me more how to "add" DMA on my PCI core? As for the pci card, how it can communicate with the PC can only through those PCI signal bus. What i don't understand is on the side of motherboard , which type of command and signals need to given by the master PCI so as to know it want to directly write data to memory without involve of CPU? ( i don't mean i don't know the control of those signal like FRAME,IRDY..etc as i have read the spec of PCI). what i guess is the master PCI do normal memory write operation with burst mode and give the address of physical memory on the PC at the address period. This is just my guess and please tell me am i right or not. Regards, TOM ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Warren" dave@l... > To: "Discussion list about free,open source PCI IP core" pci@o... > Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:47:57 -0000 Subject: Re: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver
>
>
> To use burst transfers on PCI the PCI card has to be the

master,
> you need to
> add DMA to your card. I think opencores has a wishbone DMA
> controller you
> can use. All the high speed PCI devices have DMA, look at

specs for
> SCSI
> controllers ect. Anything you code in the device driver will

be
> brocken down
> to individual reads or writes, because of latency in the

system the
> transfer > rate will be slow. > > good luck > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: tomko81@h... > > To: pci@o... > > Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 6:10 AM > Subject: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in

device
> driver
>
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using driverstudio to write a device driver

for my
> PCI card,
> but
> i don't know how to call up burst mode Read on my PCI

card, i
> try to use
> one of this method
>
>
> in the declaration of KMemoryRange supplied by

driverstudio.
> It can read
> in a string of DWORD (32 bits) data but it is not

performing
> burst mode
> read on the hardware . It is just read in data one by

one.
>
> My question is :
>
> 1. How can i call up burst mode Read in my device driver?

Is
> there any
> command or method can use , or i need to handle the IRP

by my
> own?
>
> 2. By theory , where the data from the PCI board store

before
> reaching

> getting by
> the device driver ?
>
>
>
>

>

Not available!
I'm just using write bursts. I do not know if my board can use burst read. The PCI standard and the Altera PCI core can handle it but I do not know if there are limitations in the motherboard hardware that prevent read bursts. I have no clue whether the Opencore PCI can handle read bursts. It should be technically possible to use read busts (in a slave PCI-core) at a PC since Altera has made code for it but I don't know for sure. Sincerely STB -----Ursprungligt meddelande----- Från: tomko81@hotmail.com [mailto:tomko81@hotmail.com] Skickat: den 10 december 2003 02:08 Till: stb@viking2001.se; pci@opencores.org Ämne: Re: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver Thank you for your reply. But my point is that in slave PCI, the write/read process is initiated by others like CPU, i try to read in a string of DWORD in the PCI device driver but it just read in the data one by one and so the speed is slow. I would like to know is there any solution can call out the burst read/write in slave PCI? You say you are using slave PCI but can still perform burst read, how can you do that ? Regards, TOM
Not available!
Hi Stefan,

on PCI you can influent the kind of transfer by setting the command
bit's on the bus. These bit's are laying during addressing phase on the
bus and indicate the desired busmode.
Beneath the single cycle read/write modes there exist two modes for
initiating a burst. They are called 'read cache line' and 'read
multiple'. For writing, no such modes are defined!!
Of course, write bursts occour, but you can't take control over them.
They are assembled by the (intelligent) PCI-bridge into a burst.

If you want to know, how to initiate 'read cache line' or 'read
multiple' transfers (I recomend read multiple) you have to look into
you're description/driver how to influent the C/BE# of your device.

I hope this was helpful for you,

Adalbert

Stefan Bergström wrote:

I'm just using write bursts. I do not know if my board can use burst read. The PCI standard and the Altera PCI core can handle it but I do not know if there are limitations in the motherboard hardware that prevent read bursts. I have no clue whether the Opencore PCI can handle read bursts. It should be technically possible to use read busts (in a slave PCI-core) at a PC since Altera has made code for it but I don't know for sure. Sincerely STB -----Ursprungligt meddelande----- Från: tomko81@hotmail.com [mailto:tomko81@hotmail.com] Skickat: den 10 december 2003 02:08 Till: stb@viking2001.se; pci@opencores.org Ämne: Re: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver Thank you for your reply. But my point is that in slave PCI, the write/read process is initiated by others like CPU, i try to read in a string of DWORD in the PCI device driver but it just read in the data one by one and so the speed is slow. I would like to know is there any solution can call out the burst read/write in slave PCI? You say you are using slave PCI but can still perform burst read, how can you do that ? Regards, TOM _______________________________________________ http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/pci

by Unknown on Dec 11, 2003
Not available!
The solution is to use the MTRR register that it's available in the Pentium III and up. This register tolds the CPU that some region of the PCI address space is type "write-back" and will make burst reads. more information in this thread:http://www.pcisig.com/reflector/msg04112.html _ _ o' \,=./ `o (o o) ---=--=---=--=--=---=--=--=--=--=---=--=--=-----ooO--(_)--Ooo--- Sebastián Fernández _____________________________ Instituto de Ing. Eléctrica Facultad de Ingenieria Tel: 7110974 int.107 On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, adalbert.mueller wrote:
Hi Stefan,

on PCI you can influent the kind of transfer by setting the command
bit's on the bus. These bit's are laying during addressing phase on the
bus and indicate the desired busmode.
Beneath the single cycle read/write modes there exist two modes for
initiating a burst. They are called 'read cache line' and 'read
multiple'. For writing, no such modes are defined!!
Of course, write bursts occour, but you can't take control over them.
They are assembled by the (intelligent) PCI-bridge into a burst.

If you want to know, how to initiate 'read cache line' or 'read
multiple' transfers (I recomend read multiple) you have to look into
you're description/driver how to influent the C/BE# of your device.

I hope this was helpful for you,

Adalbert

Stefan Bergström wrote:

>I'm just using write bursts. I do not know if my board can use burst read. >The PCI standard and the Altera PCI core can handle it but I do not know if >there are limitations in the motherboard hardware that prevent read bursts. >I have no clue whether the Opencore PCI can handle read bursts. > >It should be technically possible to use read busts (in a slave PCI-core) at >a PC since Altera has made code for it but I don't know for sure. > >Sincerely >STB > >-----Ursprungligt meddelande----- >Från: tomko81@hotmail.com [mailto:tomko81@hotmail.com] >Skickat: den 10 december 2003 02:08 >Till: stb@viking2001.se; pci@opencores.org >Ämne: Re: [pci] how to handle burst mode read/write of PCI in device driver > >Thank you for your reply. > >But my point is that in slave PCI, the write/read process is initiated by >others like CPU, i try to read in a string of DWORD in the PCI device >driver but it just read in the data one by one and so the speed is slow. I >would like to know is there any solution can call out the burst read/write >in slave PCI? > >You say you are using slave PCI but can still perform burst read, how >can you do that ? > > >Regards, >TOM > > > > >_______________________________________________ >http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/pci > >
_______________________________________________ http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/pci

no use no use 1/1 no use no use
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.