OpenCores
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
Help about
by Unknown on Feb 6, 2004
Not available!
Hi all,
Can anyone help me out with these questions:

1. It's said in the USB2.0 spec section 9.6.5 (P267) that,"Interface descriptors cannot be directly accessed with a GetDescriptor() or SetDescriptor() request." So my question is: can I access them indirectly? and how?

e.g. if I wanna modify an Interface descriptor, call the GetDescriptor() ? give me some details pls.

2.I'm developing an OTG device. which will interface USB bus via philips ISP1301. However I can't find the datasheet at philips website or anywhere else. Anyone has idea about the I2C transceiver interface? and send me a copy of the datasheet?

many thx

Joe

Feb 6th.

Help about
by Unknown on Feb 6, 2004
Not available!
Interface descriptors are transferred as part of the configuration descriptor. GetDescriptor(configuration) is the way. What do you mean "modify" the interface descriptor? Set_Interface allows the host to select from alternate interfaces, if they exist, for a given configuration. It is an optional command. http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat/usermanuals/UM10028_1.pdf might help for how to connect it. Marc Reinig System Solutions Windows Driver and Embedded Product Consulting
-----Original Message----- From: usb-bounces@opencores.org [mailto:usb-bounces@opencores.org]On Behalf Of Lifeng Chen Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 7:45 PM To: Discussion list about free,open source USB IP core Subject: [usb] Help about Hi all, Can anyone help me out with these questions: 1. It's said in the USB2.0 spec section 9.6.5 (P267) that,"Interface descriptors cannot be directly accessed with a GetDescriptor() or SetDescriptor() request." So my question is: can I access them indirectly? and how? e.g. if I wanna modify an Interface descriptor, call the GetDescriptor() ? give me some details pls. 2.I'm developing an OTG device. which will interface USB bus via philips ISP1301. However I can't find the datasheet at philips website or anywhere else. Anyone has idea about the I2C transceiver interface? and send me a copy of the datasheet? many thx Joe Feb 6th. _______________________________________________ http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/usb

Help about
by Unknown on Feb 9, 2004
Not available!
Hi, Marc Thx for your kindly help :-) My question should be : Is it possible to use SetDescriptor Request (but not GetDescriptor) to modify the Interface Descriptor. ? or is it recommended to do so ? Here "modify" means to modify the content of an interface descriptor, e.g., bNumEndpoints field . Another problem: According to the USB2.0 spec, only 1 device is in presence. But what's the factual situation? What's the general solution? Do we need multiple device descriptors in case of OTG development, where CBI/Bulk Only/Still Image/etc. Class are all potential devices? Alllowing the Application Software to implement multiple Device Descriptors and select an approximate one to respond to the host ? or 1 single Device Descriptor with multiple Configuration/Interface Descriptors ? Best Rgds, ------------------------------- Joe ----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Reinig" mreinig@pacbell.net> To: "Discussion list about free,open source USB IP core" usb@opencores.org> Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 12:02 AM Subject: RE: [usb] Help about
Interface descriptors are transferred as part of the configuration descriptor. GetDescriptor(configuration) is the way. What do you mean "modify" the interface descriptor? Set_Interface allows the host to select from alternate interfaces, if they exist, for a given configuration. It is an optional command. http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat/usermanuals/UM10028_1.pdf might help for how to connect it. Marc Reinig System Solutions Windows Driver and Embedded Product Consulting
> -----Original Message----- > From: usb-bounces@opencores.org > [mailto:usb-bounces@opencores.org]On Behalf Of Lifeng Chen > Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 7:45 PM > To: Discussion list about free,open source USB IP core > Subject: [usb] Help about > > > Hi all, > Can anyone help me out with these questions: > > 1. It's said in the USB2.0 spec section 9.6.5 (P267) > that,"Interface descriptors cannot be directly accessed with a > GetDescriptor() or SetDescriptor() request." So my question is: > can I access them indirectly? and how? > > e.g. if I wanna modify an Interface descriptor, call the > GetDescriptor() ? give me some details pls. > > 2.I'm developing an OTG device. which will interface USB bus via > philips ISP1301. However I can't find the datasheet at philips > website or anywhere else. Anyone has idea about the I2C > transceiver interface? and send me a copy of the datasheet? > > > many thx > > > Joe > > Feb 6th. > > _______________________________________________ > http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/usb
_______________________________________________ http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/usb

Help about
Not available!
On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 15:27, Lifeng Chen wrote:
Hi, Marc

Thx for your kindly help :-)

My question should be : Is it possible to use SetDescriptor Request (but not GetDescriptor) to modify the Interface Descriptor. ? or is it recommended to do so ?

Why not ?

You can also use the vendor IO to modify your descriptors.

However I do not see WHY you would want to do that.

Here "modify" means to modify the content of an interface descriptor, e.g., bNumEndpoints field .

Another problem: According to the USB2.0 spec, only 1 device is in presence. But what's the factual situation? What's the general solution? Do we need multiple device descriptors in case of OTG development, where CBI/Bulk Only/Still Image/etc. Class are all potential devices? Alllowing the Application Software to implement multiple Device Descriptors and select an approximate one to respond to the host ? or 1 single Device Descriptor with multiple Configuration/Interface Descriptors ?
One device ? Hmmm, not sure what you are referring. USB bus support up to 128 devices if I remember correctly. OTG on the other hand is a pure point to point connection and supports only one device AT A TIME. There are descriptors for the entire interface and for each endpoint in every device. I don't understand what the confusion is ... OTG is only required to support specific devices. Thats more of a "deriver" issue ... Regards, rudi ======================================================== ASICS.ws ::: Solutions for your ASIC/FPGA needs ::: ..............::: FPGAs * Full Custom ICs * IP Cores ::: FREE IP Cores -> http://www.asics.ws/
Help about
Not available!
Dear Rudi, Excuse me for my carelessness. //blush. What I meant should be a single "device descriptor" rather than "device" for my OTG controller. Now I'd like to repeat my question here: According to the USB2.0 spec, only 1 device DESCRIPTOR is in presence. But what's the factual situation? What's the general solution? Do we need multiple device descriptors in case of OTG DEVICE development, where CBI/Bulk Only/Still Image/etc. Class are all potential devices? Alllowing the Application Software to implement multiple Device Descriptors and select an approximate one to respond to the host ? or 1 single Device Descriptor with multiple Configuration/Interface Descriptors ? Best Rgds, ------------------------------- Joe ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rudolf Usselmann" rudi@asics.ws> To: "Discussion list about free, open source USB IP core" usb@opencores.org> Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 4:47 PM Subject: Re: [usb] Help about
On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 15:27, Lifeng Chen wrote:
> Hi, Marc
>
> Thx for your kindly help :-)
>
> My question should be : Is it possible to use SetDescriptor Request (but not GetDescriptor) to modify the Interface Descriptor. ? or is it recommended to do so ?

Why not ?

> Here "modify" means to modify the content of an interface descriptor, e.g., bNumEndpoints field .
>
>
> Another problem: According to the USB2.0 spec, only 1 device is in presence. But what's the factual situation? What's the general solution? Do we need multiple device descriptors in case of OTG development, where CBI/Bulk Only/Still Image/etc. Class are all potential devices? Alllowing the Application Software to implement multiple Device Descriptors and select an approximate one to respond to the host ? or 1 single Device Descriptor with multiple Configuration/Interface Descriptors ?
One device ? Hmmm, not sure what you are referring. USB bus support up to 128 devices if I remember correctly. OTG on the other hand is a pure point to point connection and supports only one device AT A TIME. There are descriptors for the entire interface and for each endpoint in every device. I don't understand what the confusion is ... OTG is only required to support specific devices. Thats more of a "deriver" issue ... Regards, rudi ======================================================== ASICS.ws ::: Solutions for your ASIC/FPGA needs ::: ..............::: FPGAs * Full Custom ICs * IP Cores ::: FREE IP Cores -> http://www.asics.ws/ http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/usb

Help about
Not available!

As Rudolf says, why would you want to do this. It really makes no sense and
in over 8 years of working with USB and 100's of devices, I have never seen
it used.

See other comments inline:

-----Original Message----- From: usb-bounces@opencores.org [mailto:usb-bounces@opencores.org]On Behalf Of Rudolf Usselmann Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 12:47 AM To: Discussion list about free, open source USB IP core Subject: Re: [usb] Help about On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 15:27, Lifeng Chen wrote:
> Hi, Marc
>
>
> My question should be : Is it possible to use SetDescriptor

Request (but not GetDescriptor) to modify the Interface
Descriptor. ? or is it recommended to do so ?

Why not ?

> Here "modify" means to modify the content of an interface

descriptor, e.g., bNumEndpoints field .
>
>
> Another problem: According to the USB2.0 spec, only 1 device is

in presence. But what's the factual situation? What's the
general solution? Do we need multiple device descriptors in case
of OTG development, where CBI/Bulk Only/Still Image/etc. Class
are all potential devices? Alllowing the Application Software to
implement multiple Device Descriptors and select an approximate
one to respond to the host ? or 1 single Device Descriptor with
multiple Configuration/Interface Descriptors ?

One device ? Hmmm, not sure what you are referring. USB
bus support up to 128 devices if I remember correctly.
OTG on the other hand is a pure point to point connection
and supports only one device AT A TIME.

Actually, it is 127 since address 0 is the default address for any device
until they are enumerated. Practically, it is 126 since the root hub counts
as a device. Really practically, I have never seen a host actually survive
the connection of more and a few dozen devices and still keep working ;=)

There are descriptors for the entire interface and for each endpoint in every device. I don't understand what the confusion is ... OTG is only required to support specific devices. Thats more of a "deriver" issue ... Regards, rudi ======================================================== ASICS.ws ::: Solutions for your ASIC/FPGA needs ::: ..............::: FPGAs * Full Custom ICs * IP Cores ::: FREE IP Cores -> http://www.asics.ws/ _______________________________________________ http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/usb

- FREE EDA Tools

Help about
Not available!

The spec has it. You only have one device descriptor. You are really
making this more complex than it has to be.

Use a single device descriptor and multiple configuration or interface
descriptors as appropriate for your specific application. Don't try to out
guess or stretch the spec, follow it. The other path leads to madness and
worse ;=)

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

-----Original Message----- From: usb-bounces@opencores.org [mailto:usb-bounces@opencores.org]On Behalf Of Lifeng Chen Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 1:06 AM To: rudi@asics.ws; Discussion list about free,open source USB IP core Subject: Re: [usb] Help about Dear Rudi, Excuse me for my carelessness. //blush. What I meant should be a single "device descriptor" rather than "device" for my OTG controller. Now I'd like to repeat my question here: According to the USB2.0 spec, only 1 device DESCRIPTOR is in presence. But what's the factual situation? What's the general solution? Do we need multiple device descriptors in case of OTG DEVICE development, where CBI/Bulk Only/Still Image/etc. Class are all potential devices? Alllowing the Application Software to implement multiple Device Descriptors and select an approximate one to respond to the host ? or 1 single Device Descriptor with multiple Configuration/Interface Descriptors ? Best Rgds, ------------------------------- Joe ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rudolf Usselmann" To: "Discussion list about free, open source USB IP core" Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 4:47 PM Subject: Re: [usb] Help about
> On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 15:27, Lifeng Chen wrote:
> Hi, Marc
>
>
> My question should be : Is it possible to use SetDescriptor

Request (but not GetDescriptor) to modify the Interface
Descriptor. ? or is it recommended to do so ?
>
> Why not ?
>
> You can also use the vendor IO to modify your descriptors.
>
> However I do not see WHY you would want to do that.
>
> Here "modify" means to modify the content of an interface

descriptor, e.g., bNumEndpoints field .
>
>
> Another problem: According to the USB2.0 spec, only 1 device

is in presence. But what's the factual situation? What's the
general solution? Do we need multiple device descriptors in case
of OTG development, where CBI/Bulk Only/Still Image/etc. Class
are all potential devices? Alllowing the Application Software to
implement multiple Device Descriptors and select an approximate
one to respond to the host ? or 1 single Device Descriptor with
multiple Configuration/Interface Descriptors ?
> > One device ? Hmmm, not sure what you are referring. USB > bus support up to 128 devices if I remember correctly. > OTG on the other hand is a pure point to point connection > and supports only one device AT A TIME. > > There are descriptors for the entire interface and for > each endpoint in every device. > > I don't understand what the confusion is ... > > OTG is only required to support specific devices. Thats > more of a "deriver" issue ... > > Regards, > rudi > ======================================================== > ASICS.ws ::: Solutions for your ASIC/FPGA needs ::: > ..............::: FPGAs * Full Custom ICs * IP Cores ::: > FREE IP Cores -> http://www.asics.ws/ > > > _______________________________________________ > http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/usb
_______________________________________________ http://www.opencores.org/mailman/listinfo/usb

no use no use 1/1 no use no use
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.