OpenCores
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
Connecting webcam using openrisc with USB 2.0 Function Core
by flntobi on Dec 5, 2011
flntobi
Hi

We are currently looking for a possibility to connect a standard webcam to an FPGA. The only reasonable way we think is to use some softprocessor running linux.

Do you think with openrisc using USB 2.0 Function Core and an ULPI phy IC it is possible to connect a usb webcam?

Regards,
Tobi
RE: Connecting webcam using openrisc with USB 2.0 Function Core
by olof on Dec 8, 2011
olof
I haven't tried the USB2.0 core, so I can't say anything about it. Hopefully someone else will jump in with more knowledge of the core

Another solution however could be to get an USB chip with PCI interface and use the PCI core from opencores. If there are webcams that can talk PCI directly, you can use that too

Maybe Michael Unnebäck has some extra information. He has good knowledge of the market for these kind of things

--
Olof Kindgren
unneback
As Olof suggests using an external USB 2.0 controller is an option. If you require 480 mbps I think you must have an external device of some sort, UTMI or ULPI interface is one option.

You could use μPD720101 from NEC/Renesas. This is available from Digikey
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=PD720101
in BGA or LQFP. This device will give you five USB2.0 host ports.
This device has a PCI interface.

This particular device happens to be possible to use with the new Altera Cyclone IV based OpenRISC development board. I would be happy to further investigate the possibility to do an add-on board with this device.

regards
/Michael Unneback
ORSoC
no use no use 1/1 no use no use
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.